Monday, January 28, 2013

Stargate Atlantis--"The Kindred, Part II"

A burst diverticula and a feeding tube ago, more accurately, October 25th, 2012, I reviewed "The Kindred, Part I." The episode would have to end on a cliffhanger, no? I hope the anticipation for the resolution was not to excruciating. I was not in shape for much television reviewing in the interim. In my opinion, Part II is a bit of a letdown.

When we left off, our heroes were raiding one of Michael’s old labs to fin the kidnapped Teyla when they find the allegedly dead for a year and a half Beckett instead. We discover before the first act is over that Beckett is a clone and is deteriorating. Should we guess then that Beckett clone will sacrifice himself heroically to save Teyla, thereby making up for the pointless death of the main character back in the third season? Be serious.

Things look promising. Beckett clone leads our heroes to Michael’s main lab in which he is holing the athosians prisoner and is experimenting on Teyla’s unborn child. When they are pinned down by an ambush, Beckett clone runs off alone to save Teyla. Alas, he cannot, as Michael forbids his creations from harming him. Instead, he gets away with Teyla after shooting the helpless Beckett Clone. Back on Atlantis, Beckett clone is placed in stasis to preserve his life until…I do not know. The writers come up with a decent send off for the character, I suppose.

While it is great to see Paul McGillion again, revealing Beckett is a deteriorating clone riht away takes the wind out of the story’s sails. We know he is going to be disposed of and te emtions of the reunion are not going to be real. The only thing we can rely on for excitement is the action. There is plenty of it, but that is not what I wanted to see at the cliffhanger. I wanted beckett to get a more meaningful send off than being randomly killed in an explosion, and he does not get one. Instead, he fails at rescuing Teyla and gets mothballed for his trouble.

Color me unimpressed with this one. It reminds me a lot of the Peter Parker is a Clone/ Ben Reilly is the Real Spiderman travesty of the mid-90’s. I cringe at jut about any story involving clones being mistaken for the real McCoy since then. This episode is no exception.

Rating: ** (out of 5)

No comments: