Friday, August 26, 2005

What's Killing the Democratic Party?

According to George Will, it's the party base's embrace of Cindy Sheehan, Michael Moore, and MoveOn.org. Most of america couldn't care less about that trio, but the rank and file Democrats are all for such Leftist radicalism. That may spell trouble for the democrats in 2008.

Hillary is trying to move to the center (So I'm told. Her voting record says otherwise.) in anticipation of getting the Democratic nod for president. Whether she wants it or not, she's going to have the most zealous among the above trio's followers with her every step of the way. After 8 years of Bush, they'll be desperate and enthusiastic for a win, particularly if someone attached to the Bush Administration gets the GOP nod. realistically, it is hard to imagine that not happening after two successful terms unless someone with a winning personality emerges from outside the Beltway.

Democrats have losr five of the last seven presidential campaigns. The two they did win were based on an outside the Beltway personality likee I described above. They aren't going to have that this time around, so it looks like defeat number six is coming up.

2 comments:

Dan Kauffman said...

"According to George Will, it's the party base's embrace of Cindy Sheehan, Michael Moore, and MoveOn.org."

In time that COULD be true of the Party's "base" I am not certain if it is now, and I am pretty certain it has not been in the past.

Of course we can get down to a "definition of terms" here.

I think of the Base as being the Broad population of people who think of themselves as Democrats the bulk of the Party in terms of voters going to the Polls.

If you are talking about the ACTIVIST Base, those who do the nuts and bolts work of the Party it would be correct that it has been coopted by The Michael Moore and Moveon.org crowd, for after all didn't Moveon.org say they OWNED The Democratic Party now because they had PAID for ?

Picture the public reaction of an org tied with a Republican Party said that they had BOUGHT the GOP. LOL

I have been mulling over a few concepts so I may repeat the above and expand in my own blog, but basicaly the idea that Zell Miller broached when he said.

"I did not leave the Democratic Party, they left me."

I keep hearing that the Nation has moved to the Right. I am not certain that is accurate. I am wondering if the Democratic Leadership has moved so far to the left that they have abandoned a large portion of what I considered the Democratic Base. How else can one explain the radical shift in Politics in what used to be called the Solid South? This has created such things as the Neo-Con movement which I percieve as former liberals who no longer feel at home in the Democratic Party.

Dan Kauffman said...

I did it may I suggest you sign up for the free haloscan service it is not to hard to add to the code on your website and would enable other so trackback their posts that are linked to yours.

http://www.haloscan.com/

If you want to keep your comments on blogger.com the code comes together email me and I can show you how to take out just the trackback code to put on your blog.